Alexander Povetkin gracious in defeat

September 23, 2018

 

Anthony Joshua and Alexander Povetkin engaged in a respectful shake of the hands in the Wembley locker rooms after their bruising fight on Saturday night.

Joshua put on a dazzling performance in front of a raucous 80,000 crowd as he emphatically knocked out the Russian mandatory challenger in round seven.

It came after Povetkin had dominated the early stages of the fight, leaving Joshua with a bloodied nose, only for the British star to gain control late on and put an end to the fight early.

Alexander Povetkin has shown the wounds he suffered in defeat to Anthony Joshua

 

Alexander Povetkin has shown the wounds he suffered in defeat to Anthony Joshua

 

The Russian posted a video on Instagram later in the evening and his face was busted up

The Russian posted a video on Instagram later in the evening and his face was busted up

In a video posted on Joshua’s Twitter account, he can be seen entering the dressing room and shaking hands with Povetkin’s entourage. He then offered some kinds words to the Russian through a translator.

‘That’s all. That’s respect. You’ve been good from amateur, very consistent.’ he said.

‘And I want to come to Russia.’

Povetkin replied through his translator: ‘You’re welcome anytime’.

The Russian posted a video on his own Instagram later in the evening and his busted up face was clear to see with bruises around his eyes and a cut on his left side.

Anthony Joshua says his first choice opponent for his next fight is American Deontay Wilder

Anthony Joshua says his first choice opponent for his next fight is American Deontay Wilder

 

Just one belt is not in his possession and his eyes are all fixed on the prize held by Wilder

Just one belt is not in his possession and his eyes are all fixed on the prize held by Wilder

 

Joshua admitted after the fight that he wants to face American Deontay Wilder in his next Wembley showpiece, scheduled for April 13.

As he was handed a microphone for a post-fight interview, Joshua revealed his No 1 target for his next fight is Wilder, the man who has so far evaded his clutches.

‘I’m not in the blame game,’ Joshua said when asked why previous negotiations with Wilder collapsed. ‘We both did a lot of talking, I’m here now, I found my right hand and I’m lining up for April 13.

‘I’m not too fussed who wins (between Wilder and Tyson Fury on December 1). Good luck to both of them and may the champion bring themselves to the UK and we will have a good dust up. Wilder is my No 1 choice but I am done talking now.’

 

SOURCE: dailymail.co.uk


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *