De La Hoya claims Golovkin ducking Alvarez

September 20, 2016

Immediately in the aftermath of Canelo Alvarez’s KO over Liam Smith, promoter Oscar De La Hoya took the mic at the post-fight press conference to talk about a supposed 8-figure offer he made to Gennady Golovkin for the Canelo fight — one that he says Golovkin’s team didn’t accept.

“I didn’t want to talk about any other offers that we had made to anyone else,” De La Hoya said.

“I know you know what I’m talking about. So, 30 days ago I made an offer to GGG and his people.

“I made an eight-figure offer. I believe it’s an offer that was two, three, four times what he’s ever made and haven’t heard back. And that’s the bottom line.”

Tom Loeffler, Golovkin’s promoter, said to RingTV that Golden Boy didn’t make a suitable offer, but that they are still committed to making the fight happen. In fact, Loeffler even goes so far as to say there wasn’t actually any substantive offer that was declined, and that Golovkin would’ve fought Canelo this past May if he could have.

With De La Hoya continuing by saying that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has serious interest in staging a Canelo-GGG fight at AT&T stadium, he says all he needs is a call back from Golovkin’s team.

“All I need is for GGG and his people to at least call us back and negotiate and to take the offer,” De La Hoya said.

“GGG has said that he’s not a businessman and he’s said publicly that Canelo is going to offer him $2 million. Well, guess what? There’s an eight-figure number on the table for Golovkin. Sign the contract and let’s stop with this nonsense.”

EDITED FROM: badlefthook.com


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *