Just one day remains until Barcelona begin the defence of their LaLiga title, and Luis Enrique insists everyone at the club must look forward if they are to succeed again, whilst refusing to be drawn on the future of Claudio Bravo.
Over the last eight years, the Blaugrana have been crowned Spanish champions six times, and once again start as favourites to go all the way again in 2016/17.
Enrique is confident of more success because his players are focused for the year ahead, but says previous victories are now in the past.
“We won the title last year, so we will be expected to be up there again,” he said at his press conference ahead of facing Real Betis on Saturday.
“Other titles are in the past, everyone starts on zero points and football is about the present and future.
“My players are motivated, they are constantly reinventing themselves in training and matches.”
A supposed impending transger of Chile captain Bravo to Manchester City was a theme that dominated the press conference with the coach seemingly none the wiser.
“I don’t know, you tell me,” was his response to the question as to whether it was the custodian’s last game.
“I value all of my players, Bravo included.”
Four new players have arrived this summer and with Lucas Digne, Denis Suarez, Samuel Umtiti and Andre Gomes all settling so well Enrique is pleased, but warned they have things to learn.
“They’ve all done well, adaptation periods take time,” he continued.
“There is still more for them to learn so we must take things slowly, but their teammates have helped them settle in well.”