I call the shots – Andy Ruiz

June 5, 2019

 

 

  • Anthony Joshua was floored four times by Andy Ruiz Jnr on Saturday night  
  • The former world heavyweight champion will seek to exact immediate revenge
  • Mexican has been living the high life and appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live 
  • Ruiz is set for a £10million payday when the pair get into the ring once more 
  • Eddie Hearn has revealed AJ has triggered a rematch clause following the loss
  • ‘It will take place in November/December at a venue to be confirmed,’ said Hearn

Andy Ruiz Jnr has insisted he will fight Anthony Joshua anywhere after the Brit triggered the rematch clause in his contract.

The Mexican pulled off one of the greatest upsets in boxing history on Saturday night as he overcame Joshua at Madison Square Garden to capture his heavyweight titles.

And he has been living the high life ever since, appearing on talk show Jimmy Kimmel Live on Tuesday night alongside Sophie Turner, James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, Jessica Chastain, Nicholas Hoult, and Tye Sheridan from the film Dark Phoenix to discuss his incredible achievement.

Andy Ruiz Jnr appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Tuesday to discuss beating Anthony Joshua
Andy Ruiz Jnr appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Tuesday to discuss beating Anthony Joshua 

Ruiz walking up to the studio on Tuesday
Ruiz walking up to the studio on Tuesday

 

The Mexican signing autographs for fans
The Mexican signing autographs for fans

While on the show, Ruiz clarified his position: ‘If he wants a rematch, I’ll give it to him.

‘I’m willing to go over there or if he’s wants to come over here… we’re still in negotiations. Have it here in America? I agree. Or in Mexico.’

The 29-year-old also made light of the jokes about his weight that were made ahead of his fight with Joshua.

When asked about his plan ahead of the second fight, he said: ‘I want to get in better shape. I want to look like a Mexican AJ and get those muscles too. Stay healthy and watch the food.’

Ruiz is now set for a £10million payday after Joshua triggered the clause in his contract
Ruiz is now set for a £10million payday after Joshua triggered the clause in his contract

Ruiz is now set for a £10million payday after Joshua triggered the clause in his contract.

Sportsmail understands that Ruiz, who will face Joshua again in November or December, is in line for approximately double the purse he netted for one of the greatest upsets in the sport’s history.

The terms were written into the deal ahead of the first fight at Madison Square Garden on Saturday.

Under that agreement, it is understood Joshua will also call the shots over the location of the second bout, contrary to suggestions from Ruiz, the new IBF, WBA and WBO champion.

Joshua triggered an immediate rematch clause on Tuesday following his defeat by Ruiz
Joshua triggered an immediate rematch clause on Tuesday following his defeat by Ruiz
Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn confirmed the Briton's camp were triggering a rematch clause
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn confirmed the Briton’s camp were triggering a rematch clause

With November or December identified for the rematch, it is possible the fight will take place under the roof at Cardiff’s Principality Stadium.

However, if the Joshua team forego home advantage for the sake of restoring his reputation in the US, it is known that Madison Square Garden bosses are keen to stage the second bout after the success of Saturday’s event.

Confirmation that the rematch clause had been triggered came on Tuesday evening after meetings in New York between Joshua, his trainer Rob McCracken, Eddie Hearn and the fighter’s management.

'The fight will take place in November/December at a venue to be confirmed,' said Hearn
‘The fight will take place in November/December at a venue to be confirmed,’ said Hearn
Hearn rubbished suggestions that Joshua suffered a panic attack moments before the bout
Hearn rubbished suggestions that Joshua suffered a panic attack moments before the bout

Hearn tweeted on Tuesday: ‘After meetings with AJ, Rob Mc and the management team in NY, we have today triggered the contracted rematch clause with Andy Ruiz Jnr.

‘The fight will take place in Nov/Dec at a venue to be confirmed shortly.’

Ruiz has been bullish about his improved negotiating position after inflicting the first defeat of Joshua’s professional career, previously saying: ‘I have the upper advantage right now. I know that’s what (Hearn) says (about UK rematch). As long as I talk to Al Haymon and my team, we’re going to figure it out where.

‘It really doesn’t matter where, as long as we get back in the ring if we show the fans what they want to see.

‘I’d love to have it here [New York] or in LA. I have to look at the contract. I’m the champion. I call the shots now. So we’re going to see what happens.’

Joshua appeared disorientated in the fight as speculation gathered pace on his well-being
Joshua appeared disorientated in the fight as speculation gathered pace on his well-being

Joshua was floored four times as he surrendered his WBA, WBO and IBF titles at Madison Square Garden on Saturday.

The defeat had boxing fans baffled as to how Joshua, the heavyweight champion, was comprehensively beaten by Ruiz Jnr.

But earlier on Tuesday, Hearn dismissed all speculation surrounding the Brit’s well-being ahead of the fight.

It was claimed that Joshua wanted to pull out after having a panic attack moments before his ring-walk and some have used it as explanation for his delayed entrance and his father’s furious reaction to the end of the fight.

Joshua looked disorientated on a number of occasions during the fight and speculation ran amok with TV not permitted access to his dressing room as normal after the fight.

Rumours Joshua had been sent floored by Agit Kabayel (above) in sparring were dismissed
Rumours Joshua had been sent floored by Agit Kabayel (above) in sparring were dismissed

The former unified world champion appeared worryingly confused during the fight after taking several heavy blows from Ruiz and was heard asking his trainer Rob McCracken: ‘What round is it? Why am I feeling like this?’

Hearn addressed the rumours this week, writing on Twitter: ‘Panic attack? I’ve heard all sorts of things – there was no issue at all going into the fight.’

There was also a number of assessments online that suggested Joshua had been dropped just weeks before the fight at Madison Square Garden.

It has been claimed he was dropped by Agit Kabayel, the European champion, which has also been held up as a reason why Joshua had marks on his face ahead of his knockout defeat by Ruiz.

Yet, Hearn told Sportsmail on Monday night that Joshua was not decked by any of his partners and that Kabayel was never involved in sparring.

 

EDITED FROM: dailymail.co.uk


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *