Two modern greats come face to face for the first time with their current clubs; UEFA.com puts them back to back.
• Salah has scored in two of his five Premier League games this season, and in five of his eight matches for club and country since the UEFA Champions League final: six goals in total.
• In the same period, Neymar has played 14 games, and scored ten times (never more than a goal a game) including goals in each of his last six outings: four in Ligue 1 for Paris, followed by two (both penalties) in international friendlies for Brazil.
• The two players are the same age (26, though Neymar is older by 131 days) and the same height: 175cm.
• Neymar has scored twice in eight games against English clubs (two goals in 626 minutes of football), and was on the winning side in the first seven of those games – his streak ending in Barcelona’s 3-1 loss at Manchester City in the 2016/17 group stage.
• Salah’s only past encounters with French clubs came with Roma in the 2016/17 UEFA Europa League round of 16 when his side lost 5-4 on aggregate against Lyon; he scored once in 180 minutes of football in that tie.
• This will not be Neymar’s first trip to Anfield this year; he scored as Brazil beat Croatia 2-0 in a pre-World Cup friendly in Liverpool on 3 June.
When Salah and Neymar have scored their 2018 goals for club and country
|Time||Mohamed Salah (pens)
|76-85||5 (2)||3 (1)|
2017/18 UEFA Champions League tally
|Name||Minutes played||Goals scored (pens)
2018/19 domestic tally
||League goals (pens)
||Cup goals*||Total appearances
|Mohamed Salah||5||2 (0)||0||0||5||2|
*includes domestic super cup and league cup competitions
All-time UEFA Champions League record (group stage to final)
|Name||Appearances||Goals scored||Goals per game
||Best #UCL tally|
|Mohamed Salah||28||13||0.46||10 (2017/18)|
All-time UEFA club competition record*
|Name||Appearances||Goals scored||Goals per game|