Former WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders admits that there is some uncertainty with respect his scheduled return.
Last month, it was announced by the World Boxing Organization that Billy Joe Saunders and Shefat Isufi were ordered to collide for the vacant title at 168-pounds. Both camps were issued a letter to collide for the vacant belt, and their contest was set to take place on April 13 in London.
Gilberto Ramirez, who made five defenses of the WBO crown at 168 pounds, would later deny that he ever walked away from the belt.
According to Ramirez, he communicated with the president of the WBO, Francisco Valcárcel, and received the green light to fight at 175 while continuing to maintain his WBO title – as long as he complied with a mandatory order to fight Jesse Hart in a rematch – which Ramirez won in December.
“I have not vacated the title, I will fight at 175 pounds to see how I feel, I spoke to Paquito (Valcárcel), I told him I have an optional fight and he gave me his support,” Ramirez told ESTO.
If the WBO title is removed from the bout, then Saunders is not sure about his future at 168-pounds – or going forward with Isufi.
“I’m sort of limited as to what I can really say about it,” Saunders told talkSPORT’s Fight Night.
“But this is it, I told Frank Warren I want that world title fight, I agreed for it to be a world title fight and now Ramirez is still world champion.
“If it’s not for the full world title like everybody agreed… I’m not saying it’s Frank’s fault, but we announced it and he’s still world champion. It’s not good for this fight, it’s not looking too good at this stage to be honest with you.”