“Number 12” prosecution will soon begin – Perry Okudzeto

September 5, 2018

Perry Okudzeto Vet 1

Perry Okudzeto, Deputy Sports Minister

Ghana’s deputy Sports Minister, Perry Okudzeto, has assured skeptical Ghanaians prosecution will soon begin, of suspects captured in the “Number 12” expose by celebrated undercover journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas, which aired in June.

In an exclusive interview with Rainbow Radio, Okudzeto said investigations were ongoing, and that at the appropriate time, the findings would be publicised.

“The security agencies are still conducting investigations and I believe prosecution will surely be initiated,’’ he added.

The Attorney General, Miss Gloria Akufo, in an interview with Rainbow Radio 87.5FM, last week, disclosed she had not received any docket to prosecute any person captured in the said video.

“I have not received any docket for prosecution. It will be recalled that when the issues started, the CID started a probe. The probe is still on going and when they forward anything to me, I will look at it,’’ she stated.

The expose captured more than 70 referees, match commissioners, officials of the Ghana Football Association, the National Sports Authority and the Sports Ministry receiving various sums intended as bribes to influence player selections, the award of red cards, yellow cards, penalties, and visa deals.

Money paid to the officials ranged from GH¢300 to GH¢5,000. GFA’s ex-president, Kwesi Nyantakyi, was captured receiving a disputed sum of $65,000 for “shopping” as a good faith cash gift, by the undercover Tiger Eye PI team of Anas Aremeyaw Anas.

The sting operation also captured Nyantakyi bragging about his connections in government, including the country’s president and the vice president, and his ability to secure the so-called investors good sponsorship deals and juicy contracts, and that eventually, they could “take over the country”.

Nyantakyi is challenging the content of the video, even as the ground is swelling with agitations for full disclosure, arraignment and eventual, proper closure of the case.

In a related development, the adjudicatory chamber of Fifa’s ethics committee has today extended the 90-day ban of Nyantakyi, following the aforementioned expose, adding an extra 45 days, effective September 6.

 

EDITED FROM: ghanaweb.com


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *