May 25, 2019


On this day 25 May 1975 (Exactly 44 years ago) Asante Kotoko beat Accra Hearts of Oak 2-0 in a League match played at the Kumasi Sports Stadium.

Malik Jabir opened the scoring with a 68th minute free kick , Opoku Afriyie sealed the victory with his 81st minute strike.

On this day 25 May 2005 (Exactly 14 years ago) Liverpool beat AC Milan 3-2 in a penalty shoot-out to win the Champions League after sensationally coming from three goals down at half-time in Istanbul

Paolo Maldini gave Milan a first-minute lead and Hernan Crespo’s double gave Milan a seemingly unassailable lead.

Steven Gerrard gave Liverpool hope and Vladimir Smicer and Xabi Alonso levelled in a seven-minute spell.

Jerzy Dudek then saved from Andrea Pirlo and Andriy Shevchenko in the shoot-out to clinch a stunning victory.

It capped an amazing turnaround, with Liverpool looking out of contention after they were completely outclassed in the first-half.

Liverpool’s advance to the final was a major shock as they invaded the established order of Europe’s footballing elite – over-turning the odds against Juventus and Chelsea to reach Istanbul.

And in a show of character that broke Italian hearts they claimed the trophy for the fifth time – a feat that ensures the trophy stays at Anfield permanently.

Liverpool’s fans were determined to savour the occasion, with well in excess of their official 20,000 ticket allocation inside the Ataturk Stadium at kick-off.

Manager Rafael Benitez made a bold team selection when he excluded Dietmar Hamann and Igor Biscan – so successful in the European campaign – on the sidelines in favour of Harry Kewell.

It was a decision that back-fired in the worst possible fashion in a catastrophic first 45 minutes for Liverpool.

Milan were ahead inside the first minute, when Pirlo’s free-kick was met by the unmarked Maldini, who swept a finish high past Dudek.

Liverpool’s lack of a holding midfield player allowed Milan to cut a swathe past Gerrard and Alonso.

And Kewell’s ill-fated selection looked even more of a failed gamble when he limped off with a groin injury after only 22 minutes, to be replaced by Smicer.

Milan ended the first half exerting almost embarrassing domination, with two strikes in the last six minutes of the opening period.

Shevchenko broke away down the right flank in a sweeping attack, and crossed for Crespo to turn home from close range.

And four minutes later, Milan added a third when Brazilian Kaka, the most influential player in the first 45 minutes, unlocked Liverpool’s defence with a brilliant pass that released Crespo for a clever chip over the onrushing Dudek.

Benitez made a change at half-time – introducing Hamman for Steve Finnan, who had a thigh injury.

Dudek produced a fine diving save from Shevchenko’s free-kick to stop Liverpool going four down before Benitez’s side launched an astonishing comeback.

Gerrard threw Liverpool a lifeline with a header from John Arne Riise’s cross after 53 minutes, and when Dida fumbled in Smicer’s tame 25-yard shot a minute later, they were alive again.

And Liverpool’s recovery was complete on the hour when Gennaro Gattuso pulled down Gerrard in the area as he was poised to equalise.

Dida saved Alonso’s spot-kick, but the Spanish midfield man followed up to score the rebound with Milan’s defenders looking on in stunned disbelief.

The massed ranks of Liverpool supporters, who sat in desolation during the interval, were now in ecstasy and contemplating a victory that seemed impossible just 15 minutes, earlier.

The final then reverted to a cat-and-mouse affair, but Djimi Traore rescued a poor personal display when he cleared off the line from Shevchenko after Dudek fumbled Crespo’s cross.

Milan dominated possession in extra-time, and they were denied by a miracle double save by Dudek from Shevchenko with three minutes remaining.

He blocked Shevchenko’s header then somehow diverted his shot over the top from only a yard out.

Serginho and Pirlo missed Milan’s first two penalties, while Hamann and Djibril Cisse were on target for Liverpool.

Substitute Jon Dahl Tomasson put Milan in contention before Riise missed for Liverpool.

Kaka scored for Milan, and after Smicer scored for Liverpool, Shevchenko’s kick was saved by Dudek to spark wild scenes of celebration.

AC Milan: Dida, Cafu, Maldini, Stam, Nesta, Gattuso (Rui Costa 112), Seedorf (Serginho 86), Pirlo, Kaka, Shevchenko, Crespo (Tomasson 85).
Subs Not Used: Abbiati, Kaladze, Costacurta, Dhorasoo.

Goals: Maldini 1, Crespo 39, 44.

Liverpool: Dudek, Finnan (Hamann 46), Traore, Hyypia, Carragher, Riise, Gerrard, Luis Garcia, Alonso, Kewell (Smicer 23), Baros (Cisse 85).
Subs Not Used: Carson, Josemi, Nunez, Biscan.

Booked: Carragher, Baros.

Goals: Gerrard 54, Smicer 56, Alonso 59.

Attendance : 65,000.

Ref: Manuel Enrique Mejuto Gonzalez (Spain).

On this day 25 May 2013 (Exactly 6 years ago) Bayern Munich beat Borrusia Dortmund 2-1 in the first-ever all-German Champions League final at the Wembley Stadium in London . Arjen Robben scored the decisive goal in the closing minutes, assisted by his partner-in-crime Franck Ribery.

Robben was set up by his fellow winger Franck Ribery, as the “Robbery” duo stole the crown after 88 minutes. Ribery did well to control a long ball on the edge of the box and then flick it into Robben’s path.

The Dutch winger slotted cooly underneath Roman Weidenfeller, who had a splendid game in the Dortmund goal.

“It was such a tight game, it was really neck-and-neck,” Robben said after the game.

“Then that last minute: I reacted to Franck, he put the ball into my path and I was able to slot it home. This means so very much to me that I can’t really get a grasp on it. So many emotions.”

Both keepers played well with goalkeeper Manuel Neuer rescuing treble-chasing Bayern Munich’s repeatedly to keep the score goalless at halftime, blocking efforts from Robert Lewandowski, Jakub Blaszczykowski and Sven Bender and Marco Reus.

Dortmund’s Roman Weidenfeller was also called into action in the first half – the first effort hailing from Mario Mandzukic, followed by a pair of one-on-ones with Arjen Robben that the Dortmund goalie stopped.

Second-half goals

Mario Mandzukic broke the deadlock for Bayern Munich after the break. Again, Arjen Robben and Ribery combined down the left, with Robben just managing to square the ball across the face of goal for Mandzukic to tap home from point-blank.

Eight minutes later, Ilkay G√ľndogan buried a spot kick after a Dante foul on Marco Reus. This immediately tied the score up for Dortmund, but the goal served as inspiration for Bayern to dominate the remainder of the game.

Bayern’s extended pressure paid off on 88 minutes. Franck Ribery did brilliantly to control a long ball on the edge of the box and feed Robben to side-foot the ball past Weidenfeller.

On this day 25 May 1967 (Exactly 52 years ago) Celtic became the first British team to win the European Cup, beating favourites Internazionale Milan 2-1.
An estimated crowd of 45,000 crammed into the Portuguese National Stadium in

Lisbon to witness the Glasgow side lift the greatest prize in club football.

As the final whistle blew, euphoric Celtic fans poured onto the pitch to celebrate their team’s victory, many whooping with joy and waving banners

Blistering attack

The manager, Jock Stein, said: “There is not a prouder man on God’s Earth than me at this moment. Winning was important, but it was the way that we won that has filled me with satisfaction.

“We did it by playing football; pure, beautiful, inventive football. There was not a negative thought in our heads.”

According to the Celtic players, Stein told his players to “go out and enjoy themselves” at the start of the match.

But it could all have turned out very differently. Within minutes of kick-off defender Jim Craig felled Renato Cappellini and Alessandro Mazolla netted the resulting penalty.

Milan held onto their early lead until half-time. But shortly after the break Celtic full-back Tommy Gemmel scored the equaliser

The goal gave Celtic the inspiration the players needed. They continued to attack the Italian goal until Gemmel again stormed up the left wing, passed back to Bobby Murdoch who sent a powerful shot towards the goal which was deflected into the net by Stevie Chalmers to give the Glasgow side a 2-1 lead.

The celebrations began immediately and although the Portuguese police feared the crowd would get out of control, there was no hooliganism.

But the chaos inside the stadium meant that the Celtic players could not be presented with the trophy on the pitch.

Instead club captain Billy McNeill had to be ushered round the outside of the stadium under armed escort.

He then climbed the stairs to the presentation podium where he finally held the trophy aloft to enormous cheers from the crowd.

Jubilant fans danced in the streets of Glasgow after hearing of their club’s 2-1 win ..

The Celtic victory is regarded as the greatest in the Scottish club’s history.
The 11 players became known as the Lisbon Lions – the first non-Latin side to win the European championships.

The team players were all born within a 30-mile radius of Glasgow.

They flew into Glasgow the following day and were transported by coach to Celtic Park where an estimated 50,000 people had packed into the grandstand and terraces to greet their heroes.

On this day 25 May 1977 (Exactly 42 years ago) Liverpool gained their ultimate reward for 13 years of dogged perseverance in continental competitions when they became the second English and third British club to win the European Cup, beating Borussia Moenchengladbach 3-1 in the final in at the Olympic Stadium in Rome.

After taking the lead and dominating the first half they conceded a goal early in the second and for a time were in danger of being overwhelmed by the West German champions’ formidable attacking skill. But Tommy Smith put them back in front with his first goal of the season, and Phil Neal completed a famous British victory with a penalty seven minutes from the end.

On this day 25 May 1983 (Exactly 36 years ago) Hamburg beat Juventus 1-0 to claim the 1983 European Cup at the Olympic Stadium, Athens.

A single goal from Felix Magath eight minutes into the game was enough for Hamburg to claim their first European Cup title.

On this day 25 May 1988 (Exactly 31 years ago) PSV Eindhoven beat Benfica 6-5 on penalties to win the European Cup at Stuttgart. The match ended goalless after extra -time.

According to PSV-player Berry van Aerle, it was not a particularly good match, with both teams very cautious. However, it was exciting until the end and a tense penalty shoot-out

For PSV, this win secured a Treble of the Dutch Cup, the Dutch Championship and the European Cup. Five of the PSV team were part of the Dutch team that went on to win UEFA Euro 1988 in Germany that summer.

On this day 25 May 1935 (Exactly 84 years ago) Track and field athlete Jesse Owens equaled or broke 4 world records in 45 minutes at a Big Ten meet at Ferry Field in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Remembered as “the greatest 45 minutes ever in sport

On this day 25 May 1965 (Exactly 54 years ago) Muhammad Ali KOs Sonny Liston in round 1 for heavyweight boxing title rematch at the Civic Center, Lewiston, Maine, U.S.A

Retained WBC, The Ring, and lineal heavyweight titles

On this day 25 May 1972 (Exactly 47 years ago) Heavyweight Joe Frazier KOs Ron Stander in round 4 at the Civic Auditorium, Omaha, Nebraska, U.

Retained WBA, WBC, The Ring, and lineal heavyweight titles



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *